bSWATT Meeting Notes, August 18, 2015 at SEDC

bSWATT Meeting Notes, August 18, 2015 at SEDC

Those in attendance:

  • Kevin Chapman, Millard, IVC
  • Tracy Davis, Beaver, IVC
  • Troy Lunt, Iron
  • Edna LaMarca
  • Scott Harpster
  • Josh Kleinke
  • Charlie Roberts, Washington
  • Cory Stokes
  • Jason Eyre, Garfield, IVC
  • Troy Bradshaw, Vista, Charter Rep., IVC
  • Rick Gaisford, USOE, IVC

Agenda:

  • Tech Strategic Plan
  • Standards for Support/Training
  • Engaging Stakeholder/Communication Plan
    • Action Items: Cory will send link to plan out to the board. Please review communication plan and give feedback that is specific to your district and your communication preferences
  • Review of Action Items from last meeting on July 16, 2015:
    • SB 222
    • Security Breach/CyberInsurance
      • Districts (with exception of Washington) are covered if we have a security breach since they purchased the insurance even though we host their data for this year
      • If claims are made, premiums will probably go up, and SEDC may need to pay the premium next year
    • Regional e-rate support
    • iBOSS Training
      • Plan to do this with November 3 SWATT meeting in SG for tough questions, engineer will call in
      • Scott can help with reporting anytime
    • CyberCorps Grant Project
      • Action Items: Cory will send out meeting notes
    • Research 2 Write Grant
      • In the process of getting Chromebooks ordered
      • Curriculum is being built
      • More info to come
    • T-Forum
      • Now our SWATT group
      • Jim Stewart and Cory Stokes will chair to get it up and running
    • Needs Assessment
    • UEN Virtualization Project
      • Would like to start with WordPress service as a test run
      • Have support of the board to move forward with this WordPress Service Pilot
    • Retreat
      • We would like ALL full-time technology folks in attendance
      • Will be at Ruby’s Inn on January 26-27
    • QuickTicket for SEDC
      • We are moving forward to use this in our office
      • Will be a big part of CyberCorps support
      • We will track the support we are providing for all of our stakeholders
      • Do we allow non UEN IP space for ticket submission?
      • Action Items: Scott to present Google Authentication solution for ticket submission from non UEN IP’s and for backend administration
    • Firewall Next Steps
      • Troy @ Vista is not up and running yet
      • Second training has been scheduled for Sept. 22
      • Action Items: Please let Scott know what training topics are needed for 2nd firewall training
  • Media Stats and Discussion
    • Review stats here
    • Is there enough use/value for the $0.40/student we are paying ($0.77 in WCSD??
    • Action Items: Investigate the cost of licensing Bill Nye and other important titles to distribute via Overdrive, Chris Haught
  • Power IEP, Troy Lunt
    • All forms completed in Iron, have overcome some complications
    • All forms printing
    • Need to finish reports
    • Done 3 training classes
    • When can the system come down?
      • We can keep the system up and running as long as districts want, but the longer it is up the more risk of security breach and teachers remaining on the old system
      • Chris Kupfer asked to keep the old system online until Jan. 1 2016
    • IEP Pro server will remain accessible until January 1, 2016
  • NetSafe next steps
    • Is this now a responsibility by law of the school principal and Community Councils?
    • This needs to be an issue that is discussed with kids every day, and how do we get there?
    • How many issues or complaints/problems are we having?
    • Action Items: Edna will bring this issue up to the SEDC Executive Board for guidance
  • WordPress
    • We have approval from the bSWATT to move forward with the UEN Virtualization Pilot for hosted WordPress sites
  • SEASAT
  • Google Domain Training schedule for November/December
    • Will be a part of the November 3 SWATT Meeting
  • Google Cardboard
    • Scott provided a demo of the technology
    • Is this something that we can provide PD and training on?
    • What are the hardware & OS requirements? Will old iPods run the software?
    • Action Items:
      • Pilot with a school/classroom – Nathan Jenkins at Iron Springs? Chris Haught
      • Develop an informational page for the new “New Tech” section of our SEDC web site, curate educational apps, iPod and phone hardware requirements. Chris & Clint
  • ISTE with taking principals
    • Denver, June 2016
    • SEDC Technology Team is attending
    • We have money to bring a principal from each district to attend
    • Action Items:
      • Put together an informational flyer for principal involvement to distribute
      • Invite Superintendents to attend