bSWATT Meeting, July 16, 2015

bSWATT July 16, 2015 at Iron County DO

Present: Charlie, Jim B., Jeff E., Kevin C., Tracy., Jason., Travis T., Troy B., Troy L., Chris H., Scott, Edna and Cory

Action items from last meeting

  • SB222 S1 5Million-wait for Rick
  • Security Breach HB 163-ongoing, Troy will follow-up
  • Regional e-rate support-SEDC is willing to help if needed, Cory will send out a survey to assess needs
  • iBOSS Training / MDM etc.-Scott updated the group on IBOSS and will schedule a training
  • CyberCorps Project-Cory updated progress and will meet with all involved on August 18
  • Firewall Next Steps-Scott updated progress, most districts have firewall, training was successful, Scott will schedule follow up for September
  • Cyber Insurance-Cory updated details of coverage, encouraged directors to contact BA’s to make sure they aware that data hosted at SEDC is not covered
  • Canvas Users/Licensing-Cory has collected numbers and districts have been invoiced
  • Research 2 Write-LSTA Grant-Has been funded, Chris will involve the bSWATT in the rollout in the  Aug. meeting
  • T-Forum and SWATT have been combined into one PLC-The group discussed the potential directions, they want to meet quarterly.  Cory and Jim will head this up.
  • Next steps with CETL-Charlie updated group,  23 have taken initial training, 7 passed test, 17 to still test. Study group on Monday’s at 9:30pm until we all take the test on Sept 30th.
  • Regional Co-op Purchases-Cory getting pricing on Turnitin

New Items

Hiring Update for System Specialist

Scott H is taking Jack’s place and SEDC is continuing to accept applications until July 17, should have someone on board in the next week.

Authentication

Jim B. shared the process WCSD is implementing. (Icons for Chromebooks for easier login, WiFi authenticating, guests use phone # to get access).  Scott will work with the districts on finding and implementing solutions.

Wireless Training

The group decided it was not needed

SEDC Data hosting services for districts for request for service

Scott will increase the storage size on web server and Jason will check with Clint to see about adding podcasts to Joomla.  SEDC will host audio type data up to several Gigabytes for the district being hosted by SEDC.

Virtualization

UEN has virtual servers available, Cory to follow up to see about using for backup/redundancy (pilot).

Quickticket for the SEDC office

Cory asked the group about using QT for SEDC requests. The Tech Directors agreed that they would use the system, Cory will work to develop a draft policy for o=how this will be handled on a regional basis.  This draft will be presented at our next tech board meeting.

To access all notes see:

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=26ab6b660f14407ca196b98f8df7560e

Advertisements

Notes from bSWATT June 8, 2015

bSWATT June 8, 2015
Present
Cory, Chris, Clint, Scott, Gerald, Travis, Troy L, Troy B, Edna, Jason
Next Meeting is July 16 from 10am to 12pm, then we will host the new SWATT meeting from 12pm to 2pm, this meeting will take place at the Iron District Office Board Room.

Review Action Items from Last Meeting on April 14th  The group reviewed and updated the action items.  The group discussed available options to comply with the new filtering law (all devices to be filtered). Jack and Cory are meeting with UEN this week to discuss and will report back in July bSWATT meeting.   Cory, Charlie, Troy, Travis and Greg will be presenting the CyberCorps grant in SLC to the grant funding committee.

Firewall Next Steps Jack is working with the districts purchasing equipment and they will be delivered, training will be in July. Directors can send PO’s now or wait until July 1.

Cyber Insurance The group discussed the need for purchasing insurance. Jack reported that the insurance covers the approximate $28 per student to recover/clean up the data. Cory is going to get more information on coverage and pricing from the District BAs and the vendor, will report in the July bSWATT meeting.

Request from Iron for a new programing project, presented by Troy

Troy presented on ICSD Form Builder IEP and the work they are doing and what was needed from SEDC.  SEDC tech team will meet with Kevin and Troy at Iron to discuss details. We will report in July on this project request.
Next steps with CETL
Charlie updated group on progress, he feels the program has been beneficial. The current group has until October 1 to complete. There are 7 people that will be taking test in June. Please let Charlie or Cory know if you have someone in your district interested in participating in next year’s program.
Canvas Users/Licensing
Cory will send an email to collect the number of licenses needed for next school year.
Research 2 Write-LSTA Grant
Chris shared the grant details for a regional ChromeBook lab being shared by rural school students so they can  develop online books.   The directors signed the partnership agreement.  More to follow soon.
T-Forum and work with the SWATT
The group discussed ways to collaborate with the regional technical people (IVC, retreat, social).  They will be meeting with the bSWATT on July 16 to share ideas and develop a game plan on how to more fully involve them (the technical folks) in a regional PLC environment.
FileWave- Clint provided a quick overview of this MDM type solution.  The bSWATT asked Clint to see if others in the State were using this solution and to report back.
Current and Upcoming Regional Events that Involve bSWATT

bSWATT Meeting-June 8, July 16

ESL, Math, Reading Level I and Reading Level 2-Monday, Tuesdays and Wednesday Through the Middle of May using IVC

Ed Technology PLC Every Third Tuesday 3PM over IVC and SEDC Office
SEDC Board Meeting-Aug 12
Legislative Steak Fry-June 10
UEN Tech Summit in SLC June 10-11
CETL Training Session June 9, next test will be end of Sept.
PowerSchool 7.x end of life July 1
Rural Schools Conference July 7-10 at SUU
STEM Endorsement July 27-31
Millard’s and Iron’s Tech Department Evaluation Nov/Dec 2015

Notes from bSWATT meeting April 14, 2015

Those attending:  Travis, Gerald, Troy B. Charlie, Rick, Troy L., Edna, Jack and Cory

Follow up from March 24 meeting items

SIS/Aspire Update-PowerSchool can handle multiple district on the same server through VMware.

CIPA Discussion (open wireless access)-Washington is currently working to find a solution that will require all users of the wireless network to authenticate using such technology as FaceBook, Google mail, etc..  Once they have it worked out they will help/share with the other districts in the region.  Jack will work with Charlie and Jeremy to help with project.

e-RATE and Firewall updated-The region is purchasing Palo Alto

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publishEQBCT=efa3dc9c7478403984414c97fa3c18f3

SEDC Tech Department Evaluation-Thanks for agreeing to help schedule the SEDC technology evaluation interviews, here’s the schedule and your assignment. Please let me know if you have an issue with arranging the interviews. Please let me know if you have questions or concerns. This is a great process and we are looking forward to the results.

Millard on May 4 in the morning at 9am, meet at the District Office for two interviews, the first with the district staff Supt, Tech Director, and others that are available (professional developers, curriculum specialists, etc.) and the second with school staff – a couple of principals, teachers and/or media folks.

Beaver on May 4 in the afternoon at 2pm – meet at the District Office for two interviews, the first with the district staff Supt, Tech Director, and others that are available (professional developers, curriculum specialists, etc.) and the second with school staff – a couple of principals, teachers and/or media folks.

Iron on May 5 in the morning at 8am- Supt, Tech Director, and others that are available (professional developers, curriculum specialists, etc.) and the second with school staff – a couple of principals, teachers and/or media folks.

Garfield on May 5 in the afternoon at 2pm- meet at the District Office for two interviews, the first with the district staff Supt, Tech Director, and others that are available (professional developers, curriculum specialists, etc.) and the second with school staff – a couple of principals, teachers and/or media folks.

Washington on May 6 in the morning at 8am – meet at the District Office for two interviews, the first with the district staff Supt, Tech Director, and others that are available (professional developers, curriculum specialists, etc.) and the second with school staff – a couple of principals, teachers and/or media folks.

Vista Charter School at 10am – meet at the school for one interview with the Tech Director and Principal

Kane on May 6 in the afternoon at 2pm – meet at the District Office for two interviews, the first with the district staff Supt, Tech Director, and others that are available (professional developers, curriculum specialists, etc.) and the second with school staff – a couple of principals, teachers and/or media folks.

The SEDC technology team will be available all day (8am until we are done) for interviews and tech assessments on May 6 at the SEDC office.
LiveScan Update-The three gants were funded, installs are taken place first of May

Scheduling District Summer Projects-Please let us know soon if  you have projects that you need help with, days are filling fast.

Review SEDC’s Final Close to Final Disaster Recovery Document-Jack will schedule a regional working meeting in July for the district to work on their plans.

Lab aide training-bSWATT asked us to not worry about providing this at this time.

UIMC needs assessment-

Teacher-https://docs.google.com/a/sedc.k12.ut.us/spreadsheets/d/16w2rIKVxbRaEH5_AdLtce6onAVC4OgorOPP3zEZDWsY/edit#gid=0
Media-https://docs.google.com/a/sedc.k12.ut.us/spreadsheets/d/1v0SJRHHnfAUWpEZZ-2z3nm5A9lqmq573s8FF7i2eyIU/edit#gid=0

SEDC Tech Roles-See document and provide feedback

UEN Canvas-will be going away at the end of the year

Regional e-rate support-SEDC is willing to help the districts with e-rate for the coming year, does this make sense for us to do?  Yes….

iBOSS Training / MDM etc.- We need to wait to see what UEN is going to do with iBOSS, more to come

Current and Upcoming Regional Events that Involve bSWATT
bSWATT Meeting-April 14, May 12, June 9, July 14
ESL, Math, Reading Level I and Reading Level 2-Monday, Tuesdays and Wednesday Through the Middle of May using IVC
CETL Training every other Friday at 1pm via IVC
Ed Technology PLC Every Third Tuesday 3PM over IVC and SEDC Office
SEDC Board Meeting-Plan Report April 23, 11am at the SEDC office
SEASAT Meeting April 30
SEDC Tech Department Eval May 4-7
Media Steering Committee May 4 at 12PM at SEDC and IVC
Basic Cisco Training-May 19 at SEDC office
SEDC Board Meeting May 20, June 3, and Aug 12
Admin Conference-PLCs June 3 at SUU
Legislative Steak Fry-June 10
UEN Tech Summit in SLC June 10-11
CETL Training Session June 9
PowerSchool 7.x end of life July 1
Rural Schools Conference July 7-10 at SUU
STEM Endorsement July 27-31

Notes From bSWATT Meeting March 24, 2015

I thought the meeting yesterday, March 24, was productive and meaningful (good discussion), thanks for those attending, it’s great to work with each of you:
IVC-Travis, Gerald, Troy B. Charlie, Rick
In Person-Troy L., Edna, Jack and Cory
bSWATT Meeting March 24, 2015
Discussion on the 2015 Legislature Technology Bills:
SB222 S1 5 Million
Rick will discuss this at TCC meeting to assign TCC members to participate in the advisory board, Rick will see that the State Tech standards are used.  Rick with work with he bSWATT and others in the State to see that the bill for next year will be a leadership bill.
 
Security Breach HB 163
Requires the State Board, a local board or charter school governing board, a school district, a public school, or the USDB to notify the parent or guardian of a student if there is a release of the student’s personally identifiable student data due to a security breach
Troy L. will research to find out if this is already a FERPA requirement.
 
Public Ed Human Resource HB 118
Modifies definition of “unsatisfactory performance” for career employees to include insufficient or undeveloped skills, lack of knowledge or aptitude and exclude “poor attitude, and insufficient effort”. Modifies remediation types to include training, study, mentoring, or practice and exclude “or greater effort”. If a career employee exhibits both unsatisfactory performance in skills, knowledge or aptitude, and conduct, an employer may dismiss the career employee for cause and is not required to develop and implement a plan of assistance for the career employee.
No request for funding”
Most district technology folks are at will employees.
HB 128 Records of Students
“notify a parent if the parent’s student threatens to commit suicide; or
28          (b) notify the parents of each student involved in an incident of bullying,
29     cyber-bullying, harassment, hazing, or retaliation, of the incident involving each parent’s
The bSWATT  should follow-up with their district admin to see if this information should be stored in SIS/PowerSchool
 
Student Privacy Act HB 68
Provides for the protection of student data while allowing for State Board rule to handle the operational aspects of records and data. Considers Special Education, types of records, storage, expungement, retention, third party services related to data and records, and other protective and security measures. Requires a student privacy coordinator at the USOE and a data manager in each school in the state, among other provisions.
As per Rick, this is not a requirement yet, it’s going to be studied this year in interim.  It may be made into a board rule.  Rick will keep us in the loop
Off Site Filtering HB 213
Requires a school district or charter school that purchases educational technology to ensure that adequate on and off campus Internet filtering is in place. Requires a school community council or a charter school governing board to include safe technology utilization and digital citizenship in its school improvement plan and create a subcommittee to provide education that helps students and parents make smart media choices. The councils/boards may partner with one or more non-profit organizations to fulfill the safe utilization duties. Does not stipulate the amount or use of Trust Lands funds for this purpose, though councils/boards may choose to use some funds for this purpose.
No request for funding”
This is already being done with student borrowed devices.  The issue will be with teachers/educators devices, we really don’t have a solution for this yet.  iBoss will not handle this well.We will ask Scott to start looking into this to determine a few ideas for a solution.  Scott will report in June bSWATT meeting.
Online Education HB 282
Sharing of college and high school credit has always been done by mutual agreement and with appropriate teacher credential. This bill allows high school credit to be granted by higher education without such agreement and without assurance of appropriate credentials.
bSWATT is not sure how this will work if colleges provide a credit for a class, how will this be moved in PowerSchool/SIS?  SEDC will continue to update everyone on this.
Data Security Council SB255
“Creates a Data Security Management Council to develop recommendations for data security and risk assessment. The council will be composed of the CIO or designee from the Governor’s office, House, Senate, Judiciary, State Board of Regents, State Office of Education, UCAT, State Tax Commission, and
Office of Attorney General with the Department of Technology Services providing staff. Commission shall report to the Public Utilities and Technology Interim Committee.
No request for funding
Rick will work to make sure k12 is represented on this committee.  Rick will report back to the bSWATT in April’s meeting.  Also, SB60 may require an online test as well (the Civic test).
 
SAGE Tech Specs
Seems the newest Chrome OS is supported on the ChromeBooks for Sage testing.  Text to speech is still a concern.  Most districts will not test SpEd students on ChromeBooks until the text to speech is working better.
 
Strategic Planning-We need to get it ready for Board Meeting April 22
he plan is taking shape.  Kevin, Troy L. and Tracy will work with Cory on April 8, to finalize the plan.  The plan will then be presented to the SEDC Board on April 22.  After it’s been approved we will start to implement.
 
IEP Pro
Iron has purchased a product called Form Builder (Washington is in the process of doing the same).  The product is allowing them to create a IEP system into PowerSchool.  All forms will be completed by April 15, Washington will work with Iron to develop the reports for this solution. Iron will start to provide training on this system in May and will be ready to fully roll out next August for the start of school.  Sounds like the other districts in the region are waiting to hear from their Special Ed Directors on the product they will be using.  It sounds like many of them are looking at the Power IEP system.  Cory will continue to work with Chris K. and others in the region until every district/school as a solution in place.
 
SCALE/Virtualization
Iron District is hosting a Scale vendor system solution training for virtualization in April.  Troy will send out an e-mail.
 
StormWind
bSWATT has decided not to renew the StormWind training contract.  We just didn’t use it enough to justify the cost. Cory will let the vendor know.
CyberSecurity Interns
After much discussion, it was decided that the districts would not support having Interns in their district to provide security help and support.  Cory will let Mark know.
 
SIS/Aspire Update
After much discussion the bSWATT thought it was important for Cory to talk with the USOE board members from he SEDC region about the importance of SIS/Aspire for the districts and charters the region.  Cory will report at next bSWATT meeting on April 14.
 
CIPA Discussion (open wireless access)
Washington is currently working to find a solution that will require all users of the wireless network to authenticate using such technology as FaceBook, Google mail, etc..  Once they have it worked out they will help/share with the other districts in the region.  Jack will work with Charlie and Jeremy to help with project.
e-RATE and Firewall updated 
Jack and the rest of the technical folks are in the final phase of selecting a firewall solution.   We are asking the committee members to complete the following surveys.  Once all surveys are in, we will be filling e-rate 471s.   Fortinet https://docs.google.com/a/sedc.k12.ut.us/forms/d/1-M1fk5mrLw8Q8lA0ha4oVLrrQSnqS-l4Khx1p6HgeYU/viewform?c=0&w=1  Palo https://docs.google.com/a/sedc.k12.ut.us/forms/d/1vYQPa41zcwy2oHlpFh0k2MBrzM7xXqAfTQZCnFeAfSs/viewform?c=0&w=1  Cisco https://docs.google.com/a/sedc.k12.ut.us/forms/d/1KaO31cf9aql2rr6WNOXVVkpq3vayh3T3Bx5tkyg0ClU/viewform?c=0&w=1
 
For all details on the firewall selection please see: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=efa3dc9c7478403984414c97fa3c18f3
 
 
SEDC Tech Department Evaluation
The tentative schedule for the evaluation is:
Millard on May  4 in the morning
Beaver on May 4 in the afternoon
Iron on May 5 in the morning (this includes Gateway Charter School in Enoch)
Garfield on May 5 in the afternoon
Washington District on May 6 in the morning (this includes Vista Charter School in Ivins)
Kane District on May 6 in the afternoon
Each district needs their Supt., Tech Director, a couple of principals and technology type teachers (those that would know SEDC) to be a part of the interview process.
Cory will work with Jim on the details (specific times for interviews, how many separate interviews in each district/charter school, lenght of time needed, etc.)
 
SEASAT Update
The security self assessment tool is almost complete, we will be starting the pilot before the end of April.  More to come…
 
TCC/UCET
Sounds like we have most of us going up to TCC, here’s the schedule for the TCC meeting next Wednesday:
I’ll leave the SEDC office at 7am with the White SEDC car
Pickup Gerald at U20 at 7:30am
Pickup Tracy at the District Office in Beaver at 7:45am
Pickup Kevin at the UPS Station in Holden at 8:45am
Arrive at USOE at 11am (or a few minutes before this time), TCC at USOE will be a blast from the past (we have not held the meeting here since the early 90s, right? )
Leave USOE around 7pm (after the meeting and dinner), head for Southern Utah
Charlie and Troy, and anyone else staying for UCET please remember to reserve your hotel room from the list of hotels below and SESC will pickup the cost.
CyberCorps Workforce service grant
bSWATT will be writing another CyberCorps grant.  Cory will send out the last Workforce grant we did.  We need to work with each district to determine if they would like to participate or not.
 
Regional Co-op Purchases
Nothing to report
Current and Upcoming Regional Events that Involve bSWATT
bSWATT Meeting-April 14, May 12, June 9, July 14
CETL Training ever other Friday at 1pm via IVC
Stats Math Grant/Project at SEDC/Iron and IVC March 20, 21, 27 and 28
TCC Meeting April 1
UCET April 2-3
SEASAT Meeting April 7, 10am at SEDC and IVC
Workforce Grant Meeting in Cedar City 8:30am
SEDC Board Meeting-Plan Report April 22, 11am at the SEDC office
SEDC Tech Department Eval May 4-7
Media Steering Committee May 4 at 12PM at sEDC and IVC
Basic Cisco Training-May 19 at SEDC office
ESL, Math, Reading Level I and Reading Level 2-Monday, Tuesdays and Wednesday
CETL Study Group at USOE May 27 and 28
Admin Conference-PLCs June 3 at SUU
Legislative Steak Fry-June 10
UEN Tech Summit in SLC June 10-11
PowerSchool 7.x end of life July 1
Rural Schools Conference July 7-10 at SUU

Notes from bSWATT Meeting-Feb 2015

Hello bSWATT,
Please review the notes and let me know if I need to add, delete or change anything.  Next bsWATT meeting will be held March 24 from 10am to 12pm.  See you soon.
Thanks for those attending the meeting last week
Attending:
Kevin-Chair (IVC)
Tracy (IVC)
Travis (IVC)
Gerald (IVC)
Charlie (IVC)
Cody P. (IVC)
Troy B. (IVC)
Troy L.
Jack
Edna
Cory
Web Site/Joomla-Clint, Cory, Scott, and Jack
The SEDC web site was compromised a day or so ago.   After much discussion the bSWATT decided that SEDC would continue to support Joomla and will upgrade the SEDC hosted district sites to the latest code for security purposes.  Concrete, Google Sites and Joomla are the three SEDC supported web site platforms.
Review the Current Plan and Develop Next Steps in the Planning Process-Cory, Edna and Jim
The bSWATT reviewed the vision statements and strategies that we developed at our regional retreat in February. We then selected one or two action items to focus on per vision/strategies.   SEDC will work to develop a first draft of the action plans for each selected action item.  These draft action plans with measurements will be reviewed and approved/finalized (or not) at our next bSWATT meeting in March.  Once approved by the bSWATT SEDC team will solicit feedback/input from teachers, administrators and classified staff.  This plan with continue to be developed, refined and implemented over the next couple of years.
The bSWATT will present the final plan to the SEDC board on April 22 around 12PM, we will have lunch brought into the SEDC office for  both the Executive and SWATT boards as we discuss the plan.
The current plan is located at (please remember it’s still very much in draft form, but it is starting to take form):
 
Disaster Recovery-review districts/SEDC drafts-Jack and Cory (please bring your district draft)
The first draft of the SEDC disaster recovery plan was reviewed, feedback on the plan was provided. As per our discussion, SEDC needs to add more detail for switches, firewall, filtering and risk analysis.  The next and hopefully final draft will be presented to the bSWATT and SEDC board.
Several districts reported that they are also working on their district plan, once they are complete they will share with the bSWATT.
 
SUMS-Cory
The Southern Utah Media Specialist (SUMS) conference will be held February 25, at the Iron District Office.  We have more than 60 people registered.  We have been hosting this conference every other year for the last 5-6 years.   Charlie asked if we could host this conference in St. George for all media folks in the region on the years we were not hosting in Cedar City, the bSWATT thought this was a good idea so SEDC will collect data on the possibility/interest and will report back to the bSWATT and the SEDC board for final approval/direction.
 
Legislative Funding for Technology-Rick and Cory
Rick provided an update on SB222, this year’s technology bill.
The bSWTT was supportive but has concerns regarding the strings that are attached to the funding.
IEP Pro Server-Cory and Jack
The regional IEP Pros server is functioning correctly at this time but all agreed that the bSWATT needs to look for a long term solution.  Iron and Washington are moving forward with developing a PowerSchool hosted solution.  The other districts are looking at several purchased solutions including Power IEP and having a local Utah company purchase the rights to IEP Pro and continue the development and support.  Chris Kupfer will continue to update the tech directors on the work the state is doing on this issue.
CETL work/plan-Cory and Charlie
All bSWATT members currently in this course will take the certification exam in Sept., except for Charlie who will take it in May.  There will be a study group held at USOE on May 27th, please plan to attend, if possible.  There will be a second cohort starting this certification in Sept. 2015, let Charlie or Cory know if you have someone interested in participating in this cohort.
e-rate/Firewall-Jack and Cory
Districts in the region have filed for e-rate funding for a new next generation firewall, as per the bSWATT’s request, SEDC will work to see if we can find a firewall system/solution that we will work for everyone in the region.  More to follow…
 
Stakeholders Evaluation Reports (possible new project)-Cory
The SEDC board has asked that SEDC work with each district to help find a solution for the required SB64 mandate of providing a stakeholder evaluation.  The UofU is offering a solution for this at a cost of $40,000 for the entire region.  More to follow.…
Stats Workshop (March 20, 21, 27, 28)-Cory
SEDC has been awarded a grant to provide PD for Statistics.  The technology folks in the districts will need to help provide a IVC site for secondary math teachers to attend from a location in their district.  Cory will contact those of you that have teachers participating.
 
STEM Endorsement Grant PD (Starting in July)-Edna
SEDC, working with SUU, has been awarded a STEM grant to provide PD for elementary teachers so they can become STEM endorsed.  There is funding in the grant for up to 40 teachers in the region to participate.  The SEDC tech team will be required to provide IVC and technology support for this project.  SEDC will host the official web site for this grant and will provide fiscal and technology support.
 
Regional Purchases-Cory
Not too much interest in cooperative purchasing of technology in the region at this time.  We’ll discuss this again in the March bSWATT meeting.

bSWATT December 9, 2014

bSWATT December 9 2014

Minutes

Present

Jack, Edna, Jim, Troy B, Shane, Gerald, Travis, Charlie, Troy L, Cory and Kevin

SEASAT update and discussion

Cory updated the group on the progress on the creation of the questions for the Security Self Evaluation, they should be finalized by January 14th. There will be question sets for Teachers, Admins, District Tech and Site Tech and are based specifically on SANS 20.

Cory asked the group for feedback on the necessity of this type of survey. The group discussed the difficulty of getting responses from the groups. Jim suggested focusing on the top 5. The group discussed the need for a security sssessment, whether done internally or externally and how often. Charlie expressed that he is very satisfied with the recent UEN Evaluation and would be interested in a yearly evaluation, alternating Security and Technology. The others agreed that there is value in having a self assessment to raise the awareness of staff. Shane shared how he incorporated personal internet safety in his staff training sessions.

Action-Shane will share those documents.

Firewall update

Jack stated that he is getting RFP’s for all the districts for a variety of configurations and will update the group and plan to deploy in the spring so districts can budget for July installation.

Action-Jack will have best and final prices by March 1

Jim stated that 3-5 years there should be 10 G lines available from UEN/CenturyLink.

Technology evaluation

Cory discussed the progress of the evaluations and shared the schedule of upcoming evaluations (George Washington Charter-May 2014, Washington District-Nov/Dec 2014, Garfield District-Dec 2014, Beaver District-Jan 2015, Kane District-March 2015, SEDC-May 2015 and Millard-Winter 2015). Jim explained how the process works. Charlie shared his view of the experience, which was very favorable. Charlie stated that there were several very good suggestions that he would be implementing. He stated that the report was very useful and he will follow up with Jim. Gerald shared that his participation in the WCSD evaluation helped him to understand that his district has similar issues, only on a smaller scale.

Compose Training

Cory spoke to the reading specialists this week and all agree that a “Train the Trainer” for reading specialists  in January/February would be the first step in providing training.  Kim Rathke has agreed to be the instructor and SEDC will arrange the training.  The bSWATT agreed, so the SEDC Tech Team will schedule and implement the training.  The details of this regional training will follow in the next couple of days

e-RATE

Cory asked how the changes (loss of phone service) will affect the group. Most stated that they will just have to budget for it. Jim stated that UEN has been discussing ways that they can help the schools/districts.

Action-Cory will work with UEN to see if it’s possible to gather data/rfp’s for other options.

Cory asked about SEDC purchasing a firewall thru erate, using part of the student allocation. The group agreed that it was ok.

Cory offered to help anyone file erate that needed it.

SUMS (media) conference

The conference will be February 25 at ICSD and February 17 at Millard DO. Chris stated that the focus will be on Technology Integration items. Chris will be sending out more info later.

Disaster recovery

Jack updated the progress, the next meeting is February 9 to review the districts progress with completing the template that was provided in our Nov. meeting.

Action-Jack to add template to smart sheet (done) and forward to Shane for his review.

Details on the strategic planning retreat

Retreat is February 3-4, Cory is looking for a venue, suggested Ruby’s Inn. Jim will be facilitating the planning session and encouraged the group to contact him with agenda items or suggestions. Cory will send the details in the next day or two. We will focus specifically on developing a 3-5 year technology plan/goals for the bSWATT to work on over the next several years.

Legislative technology funding update

Edna stated that there is still a search for a legislator to sponsor bill.  There’s a lot of discussion around the state on technology funding this legislative session. More to following.

IEP Pro server next steps

Cory stated that the Special Ed directors will be meeting soon to discuss which direction to go in. WCSD and Iron are looking to build a new program into Powerschool. The group agreed to wait for a decision from the SpEd directors.

Action-Cory will continue to update the committee on this project.

Alio portal update

SEDC will be working with Kane and Garfield district to update the employee portal to the latest code.

Action-Cory will involve the other Alio districts in this process.  Troy stated that Iron is moving forward with their inventory Alio implementation.  Garfield would be interested in this system once it’s ready.

CETL review, 10 minutes, Cory

The technology directors agreed that the certification PD is going well and we will continue to move forward with the process.

Code.org review, 5 minutes, Cory

Charlie suggested that we work with USOE to see if we can include some “coding” into the science core.

Action-Cory will work with Charlie to follow-up in this.

Thanks and our next meeting will be Feb 3 and 4.

Notes from bSWATT Meeting November 11, 2014

bSWATT Meeting November 11, 2014

Attending:
SEDC-Edna, Chris, Cory, Scott and Jack
Iron-Troy, Jeff, Nathan, Cori and Randy
Kane-Travis
Garfield-Gerald
WCSD-Charlie
Beaver-Tracy
USOE-Carol Lear
UEN-Jim Stewart

Discussion on Legal Issues/concerns-Carol Lear 
Carol introduced herself and gave an overview of her background and presented a ppt (Cory will send out the PowerPoint soon).
Highlights

• Student’s Social Security numbers not in all district’s SIS systems, if we have students SS#, we must protect them
• Employee’s Social Security numbers are in Cactus and other accounting systems and we must product them
• District’s should review what information is being stored/what is necessary
• COPPA requires parent consent for third party accounts (gmail, online games)
• FERPA protects students info, allows for parent’s to access
• There are at least 5 bills pending regarding student data this year already
• What is the liability of districts holding this information? (Cory to follow up)
• Training of employees to protect data is crucial
• Measures and access to keep “bad guys” from accessing
• Review FERPA guidelines
• What are Education Records?
• Definition of Eligible Students (a student that is a dependent)
• Should this be in AUP? (Cory to follow up)
• Records belong to schools
• GRAMA-Utah program that supersedes FOI Act (Federal)
• More specific timeframes than FERPA
• Parents can appeal to have data removed
• Email retention schedule should be set at LEA level
• FERPA and GRAMA could apply if part of the records
• Should be in AUP
• GRAMA/FERPA Scenario had good examples to quiz staff
• What about other data (Canvas, Video and others)
• How long should it be kept?
• Provide a copy or let them view?
• Require a subpoena?
• Video in common areas considered public record and can be shared
• Video in classroom areas considered “not public”
• Cost to collect/review data can be passed to requestor (should be in policy)
• Utah Statutes and Board Rule
• Trying to define rules in State, Districts, Schools
• Acceptable Use Policies
• Reviewed items that should be covered, students, parents and staff should sign each year.
• Examples were given
• Electronic signatures-State Statute 46-4-203 reviewed, it fine to implement a AUP electronic signature

Cory will get a copy of the Power Point (UEN for some reason doesn’t have the video recording) to share

CyberCorps-
SEDC received grants from districts and all requesting districts were funded. The question was asked if students could be paid for working during school time, please check with your district?
Action-Cory to send grants to tech directors

Firewall/e-rate-
Should districts put in for funding for category 2 eRate? There’s a very good chance that funding will be avail at the 75% level.

SEDC could possibly file for category 2 funds for the districts.  Also, each could file for funding the SEDC office, this would go against the districts $150 per student allowance.  SEDC will not file unless it’s approved by each district/school.  Action-Cory to check into breakdown (file as a district vs school vs region)
Firewalls can be purchased and managed through e-rate by the district or by a vendor.

Compose-
Cory asked the group what the role of SEDC should be, Cory talked to a few reading specialists, they would possibly like some tech support, but SEDC does not currently have admin access and tech support would need to come from USOE. The group agreed they would talk to their Reading Specialists to see if there is a need for  SEDC provide training and support report back to Cory.  Most of the tech director thought this should be a role for the district’s reading/literacy folks. SEDC will follow-up on  this and will report back to the group.

Data Storage for Backup Files, Service-
The group discussed the needs/liabilities of implementing this.
Action-The group decided with the unlimited storage available on Google, it was not needed and would be tabled unless requested in the future.

Secure File Transfer Server
Scott demo’d  File Locker.
Action-Scott will find out requirements and costs and report back to group.